1. Hamburg to host 2018 Global Wind Summit:
- The first edition of the Global Wind Summit will be held in Hamburg from September 25-28, 2018.
- The organisers of the four-day event are expecting speakers from about 100 countries, including India, China, the US, Spain and Denmark.
- The conference on wind is the largest and most important meeting of the wind industry worldwide.
2. 108th session of UNWTO Executive council in San Sebastian:
- The Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism, Shri K. J. Alphons along with a delegation of senior officials attended the 108th session of UNWTO Executive Council from 23rd to 25th May 2018 held in San Sebastian, Spain.
- The Executive council decided that in order to address new challenge and trends, the organization will pay special attention to scaling up innovation and digitization in the sector.
- During the three day Executive Council meeting, Sh. K. J. Alphons chaired the ‘Programme and Budget Committee’ meeting of UNWTO.
Points to Remember:
- The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is the United Nations agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism.
- The UNWTO Executive Council represents the Organization’s governing body whose task is to take all necessary measures in consultation with the Secretary-General, for implementation of its own decisions and recommendations of the Assembly and report thereupon to the Assembly.
- The Council meets at least twice a year, the next to be held in Bahrain.
- The council consists of 30 Full Members.
- Mr. Zurab Pololikashvili is the Secretary-General of UNWTO.
3. Saad Hariri As PM Of Lebanon Third Time:
- Lebanese lawmakers designated Prime Minister Saad Hariri for a third term.
- The presidency made the announcement after Hariri was endorsed by enough members of parliament.
- Speaker Nabih Berri, who has held the position since 1992, was also given a new term.Hariri has been prime minister since December 2016 and served his first term from 2009 to 2011.
1. 4th International Yoga Day Celebrations Main Event to be Organized in Dehradun:
- The main event of 4th International Yoga Day celebrations (IDY-2018) will be held on 21st June 2018 at Dehradun in Uttrakhand.
- Shri Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha, Secretary, Ministry of AYUSH announced that Dehradun (Uttarakhand) has been selected as the venue for Main Event of 4th International Day of Yoga on 21st June, 2018.
2. Lok Sabha MP Baijayant Panda resigns from Biju Janata Dal:
- Lok Sabha MP from Odisha’s Kendrapara constituency, Baijayant Panda, resigned from the Biju Janata Dal.
- Mr. Panda, who is the vice-president of IMFA, a ferro alloy producer, was suspended from the primary membership of the BJD for “anti-party” activities on January 24.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi Launches Survey On NaMo App:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a survey on the NaMo App, asking people to rate the performance of the government at the Centre and MPs and MLAs in their constituencies.
- He launched the initiative, to mark the completion of four years of the NDA government, which came to power at the Centre in 2014.
4. Akshay Kumar Launches Twin Pit Toilet Technology Campaign In New Delhi:
- Film actor Akshay kumar launched the twin pit toilet technology campaign in New Delhi. Mr Kumar said, the real challenge in the society is to fight the age old mentality revolving around sanitation and cleanliness.
- The actor appealed everybody to spread the awareness on the issue and make the cleanliness drive more effective.
- The twin pit toilet technology is an Indian invention that collects defecation for a period of five years and then it turns into a valuable organic compost.
5. Sushant Singh Rajput To Promote NITI Aayog’s BHIM App, Women Entrepreneurship:
- Rajput has signed an agreement to promote the Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) of the Aayog. The actor will endorse the Women Entrepreneurship Platform and encourage use of Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM) application by appearing in various video, print and social media campaigns of NITI Aayog.
- NITI Aayog’s Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) was launched on March 8, 2018, on the occasion of the International Women’s Day. It aims to power a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem through an enabling network of industry collaborations, partnerships, mentors and peer-to-peer connect.
6. Queen Maxima Of Kingdom Of Netherlands Arrives India, Meets NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman:
- Queen Maxima of the Kingdom of the Netherlands who is also the United Nations Secretary General’s Special Advocate for Inclusive Finance for Development arrived in New Delhi today on a four-day visit to India.
- She met Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog Rajiv Kumar and CEO Amitabh Kant. During the visit, Queen Maxima will call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The visiting dignitary will have a meeting with Finance Minister Piyush Goyal.
- Queen Maxima will have a field visit to Meerut in Uttar Pradesh and she is scheduled to address a Round Table on Private Sector for Financial inclusion in Mumbai.