1)Delhi is Asia’s fastest growing city:-
• Indian cities are set to expand the most across the Asian region, with growth speeding up from the past five years, according to a new study from Oxford Economics, which has ranked Asia’s 30 largest cities.
• Ho Chi Minh, the largest metro in Vietnam, was the only non-Indian city in the top five.
2)Qatar scraps visit visa requirements for 80 nationalities:-
Qatar has announced scrapping of visa requirements for visitors from 80 countries including India to host the Football World Cup 2022.
• Under the new policy announced by Qatar Airways and authorities, citizens of 33 mostly European countries can enter without a visa for 90 days in single or multiple trips during a 180-day period.
• Qatar’s economy has taken a hit since Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain moved to isolate it two months ago over allegations it supports extremists.
• This will be the first time the World Cup will be held in the West Asia. This tournament will be the last one to involve 32 national teams, including the host nation, as the next one will have 48 teams.
3)India ratifies 2nd commitment period of Kyoto Protocol:-
India has ratified the second commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol that commits countries to contain the emission of greenhouse gases, reaffirming its stand on climate action.
• India became the 80th country to accept the amendment relating to the second commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol, the international emissions reduction treaty.
• The Kyoto Protocol is an international agreement linked to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), which commits its Parties by setting internationally binding emission reduction targets.
• The Kyoto Protocol was adopted in Kyoto, Japan, in December 1997 and entered into force in February 2005.
1)PM discussed the New India initiative with the district magistrates:-
Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed district collectors across the country through video-conferencing, on the theme of “New India – Manthan.”
• It was the first-of-its-kind interaction with district collectors which marked the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the Quit India Movement.
• During the interaction, the Prime Minister asked the collectors to prepare a vision document, or resolution document for their district before the 15th of August.
• The Prime Minister recalled Mahatma Gandhi’s message that the ultimate goal of governance should be to improve the lives of the poorest of the poor.
2)NCERT launches Web Portal for supply of NCERT Textbooks:-
Minister of State for Human Resource Development Upendra Kushwaha launched the NCERT’s Web portal for supply of textbooks to schools and individuals at a function in New Delhi.
• The portal will ensure better distribution of textbooks across the country and address the concerns of schools and parents, regarding unavailability of textbooks. The Web Portal can be accessed at www.ncertbooks.ncert.gov.in.
• They can place their orders by login in onto the portal, and books will be delivered at their doorsteps with nominal postal charges. The NCERT textbooks can also be downloaded, free of cost, from its website.
3)Kerela, Haryana top sanitation survey:-
According to the survey, almost all rural households in Kerala and Haryana had access to a toilet.
• The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation released the findings of the survey of 1.4 lakh rural households.
• Northeastern States of Sikkim, Manipur and Nagaland were top performers with 95% rural households covered by toilets.
• The Himalayan States of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand with over 90% toilet coverage of the rural houses.
• BJP-ruled Uttar Pradesh and NDA-ruled Bihar are among the worst performers in terms of rural sanitation. In Bihar, only 30% of the rural household had access to toilets while Uttar Pradesh was marginally better at 37%.
1)SEBI launches online registration for custodians of securities:-
Securities and Exchange Board of India, SEBI, has introduced an online registration mechanism for custodians of securities to make it convenient for them to do business.
• All applicants desirous of seeking registration as a Custodian of Securities are now required to submit their applications online only, through SEBI Intermediary Portal.
• Earlier, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in his budget speech for 2017-18 announced that the process of registration of financial market intermediaries will be made fully online by SEBI.
2)ICICI Bank launches instant credit cards:-
The country’s largest private sector lender, ICICI Bank launched instant credit cards enabling its savings account customers to get a credit card instantly, in a completely digital and paperless manner.
• Currently, this facility to apply for a credit card in–a-flash is available through the Bank’s internet banking platform. It will also be available shortly on iMobile, the Bank’s mobile banking application.
3)IDFC Bank partners with Zeta for e-payments solution:-
For promoting an e – payments solution, private lender IDFC Bank has partnered with digital payments brand Zeta.
• The venture was initiated to launch ‘IDFC Bank Benefits’-a payment solution for the corporate that digitally record their employee spends and claims, making the documentation convenient and paperless.
• The digital solution comprises an IDFC Bank Benefits Card and Zeta app which puts together allowances and reimbursements ensured by an employer into one preloaded card.