1) International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers: 29 May:-
- The International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers, May 29, is “a day to pay tribute to all the men and women who have served and continue to serve in United Nations peacekeeping operations.
- The theme for the 2017 International Day of UN Peacekeepers is “Investing in Peace Around the World.”
2) India participated in global disaster risk reduction meet in Mexico:-
- India has participated in a five-day long Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GPDRR) summit held in Mexico.
- An Indian delegation led by Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju went for the summit.
- The summit, held at Mexico’s Cancun between May 22 and 26, was attended by over 5,000 delegates comprising heads of state, ministers and CEOs.
- The GPDRR is a global forum for strategic advice, coordination, partnership development and review of progress in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRR) 2015-2030 which was adopted at the 3rd UN World conference on disaster risk reduction held in March 2015 in Sendai, Japan.
1) WHO confirms India’s 1st Zika virus cases in Ahmedabad:-
- India’s first three cases of the Zika virus were reported between February 2016 and January 2017 in Ahmedabad, the World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed in its disease outbreak bulletin.
- The Centre confirmed the three cases, in two pregnant women and in an elderly man, on May 15, 2017.
- However, the detection and confirmation of Zika cases wasn’t made public by the state government, apparently because it came in the run-up to the Vibrant Gujarat Global Investment Summit.
2) Haryana announces pension scheme for journalists:-
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced a slew of incentives for journalists, including a Rs 10,000 monthly pension scheme, for those who are above 60 years and have completed 20 years in the profession.
- He also announced a life insurance cover of Rs 10 lakh and a cashless mediclaim policy of Rs 500,000.
- The announcements were made by the Chief Minister at the “Swarna Jayanti Journalists’ Meet” in Panchkula.
3) Manipur declares Dailong village Biodiversity Heritage Site:-
- The Manipur government has declared Dailong village of Tamenglong district as a Biodiversity Heritage Site of the state.
- Dialong village, covering an area of 11.35 sq km, has been declared as Biodiversity Heritage Site under Section 37(1) of Biological Diversity Act, 2002.
- The declaration was made after the recommendation of Manipur Biodiversity Board.
4) Jaitley dedicates Aeronautical Test range to The Nation:-
- The Defence Minister Shri Arun Jaitley has inaugurated the newly built Aeronautical Test Range (ATR) of the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) at Chitradurga in Karnataka.
- The Defence Minister said facilities such as the ATR will help in creating conditions for research, which will in turn develop the type of human resource in the country required in the field of aeronautical testing.
1) Pune police bagged smart policing award 2017:-
- The Pune city police have bagged the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industries’ (FICCI) Smart Policing Award for the year 2017.
- Out of 133 entries from the state police forces, the ‘Mahila Suraksha’ project of city police won the award.
- Rashmi Shukla, Commissioner of Pune Police received the award at event held at Delhi recently.
2) Cannes Film Festival 2017: Winners:-
- The 70th annual Cannes Film Festival took place from 17 to 28 May 2017, in Cannes, France. Here are the winners:-
Caméra d’Or (best first feature):Jeune Femme
Best short film: A Gentle Night
Jury prize: Loveless
Best actress: Diane Kruger
Best actor: Joaquin Phoenix
Best director: Sofia Coppola
Grand Prix: 120 Beats per Minute
70th Anniversary prize: Nicole Kidman
Palme d’Or: The Square