1) 43rd G-7 summit held in Italy:-
- The 43rd G7 summit was held on May 26–27, 2017 in Taormina, Sicily, Italy.
- The 43rd G7 summit was the first summit for British Prime Minister Theresa May, French President Emmanuel Macron, Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni, and U.S. President Donald Trump.
- It was the first time since 1987 that the G7 summit held in Italy was not hosted by Silvio Berlusconi.
- The Group of 7 (G7) is a group consisting of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States. The European Union is also represented within the G7.
- In March 2014, the G7 declared that a meaningful discussion was currently not possible with Russia in the context of the G8. Since then, meetings have continued within the G7 process.
- Next G-7 Summit will be held in Canada in 2018.
2) 5th India Morocco Joint Commission Meeting (JCM):-
- The 5th India Morocco Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) was held in Rabat on 25 and 26 May 2017.
- The JCM was anchored by Smt Nirmala Sitharaman, Commerce and Industry Minister.
- A Memorandum of Understanding was signed for Cooperation on Broadcasting between Prasar Bharati, India and Société Nationale de Radiodiffusion et de Télévision (SNRT), Morocco.
1) Prakash Javadekar launches UGC App to fight Ragging:-
- Union Human Resource Development Minister Shri Prakash Javadekar launched an Anti-Ragging Mobile App introduced by the University Grants Commission (UGC) here in New Delhi.
- Speaking on this occasion Shri Javadekar said this mobile app will help students register complaints to counter the menace of ragging.
- The Minister said earlier one had to visit the website for registering a complaint of ragging and our record shows that timely action was taken which in turn had resulted in the decrease of such instances. But still this ill has to be eliminated completely.
2) Amitabh Bachchan led Toilet Usage Campaign set for national launch:-
- For promotion of toilet usage across the country’s villages, the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has come out with an aggressive new campaign called Darwaza Band starting May 30th, 2017.
- Iconic actor, Amitabh Bachchan, who leads the campaign, is to joined by various dignitaries at the formal launch event in Mumbai.
- The campaign has been supported by the World Bank and is being rolled out countrywide immediately after the launch.
- It is designed to encourage behaviour change in men who have toilets but are not using them.
- The campaign also features actor, Anushka Sharma, who will be seen encouraging women to stand up for this issue in their villages and assume a leadership role.
1) India to grow at 7.2% in 2017-18: World Bank:-
- In its latest India Development Update, the World Bank said India’s economy will grow 7.2% in fiscal year 2017-18.
- GST, the report, would lead to higher tax collection, greater digital financial inclusion and make India’s fundamentals stronger and yet not increase the burden on the poor.
2) Exim Bank extends $500 m LoC to SBM (Mauritius) Infrastructure:-
- Export-Import Bank of India (Exim India) has extended a $500 million line-of-credit (LoC) to SBM (Mauritius) Infrastructure Company Ltd.
- This LoC has been extended for the purpose of financing its participation through Redeemable Preference Shares in public sector entities to implement infrastructure of other projects in Mauritius.
- This $500 million credit is Exim India’s first LOC to the SBM, Mauritius.
1) Najma Heptulla appointed as 1st woman chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia:-
- Manipur Governor and former minority affairs minister Najma Heptulla has been appointed as the chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia.
- She has been appointed for a term of five years.
- The 77-year-old Heptulla succeeds Lt Gen (Retd) MA Zaki who completes his five-year term this month.
- She is the first woman chancellor of the university since its establishment in 1920.
Heptulla who has been a five-time member of the Rajya Sabha and served as the minister of minority affairs in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Cabinet before being appointed as the governor of Manipur.
- Heptulla has had the distinction of presiding over the women’s parliamentarians’ group of the Inter-Parliamentary Union in 1993.
- She was elected President of Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), a Geneva-based international organisation from 1999 to 2002, and was nominated by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) as its human development ambassador.
1) Barcelona’s Lionel Messi wins Golden Shoe for fourth time:-
- Lionel Messi has won the European Golden Shoe for a record-equalling fourth time, drawing level with Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo.
- This award is given for scoring highest number of goals in European season.
Messi previously won the award in 2010, 2012 and 2013.
Books / Novels:-
1) President receives first copies of two books:-
- President of India Pranab Mukherjee has recently received the first copies of two books – Color Atlas of Oral implants and Conservative Dentistry – Basics.
- The color atlas – authored by Dr. Praful Bali and Dr. Lanka Mahesh focuses on advanced procedures performed by the authors in the field of dental implantology.
- The other book titled Conservative dentistry – Basics, authored by Dr. Dildeep Bali and Dr. Deepika Chandhok focuses on the basic fundamentals of the subject.