1) India to be first in world to run all government ports on green energy:-
- All 12 major domestic ports will soon switch to renewable energy to meet their entire power requirements, making India the first country to have all government-owned ports running on solar and wind energy.
- The government plans to install almost 200 megawatt solar and wind power generation capacity at the ports by 2019.
- Almost 150 mw of this will be solar power and 50 mw wind power generation capacity.
The capacity could be ramped up to 500 mw in the next few years.
2) India emerges as world’s third largest aviation market:-
- The central government said that India has emerged as the third largest aviation market in the world with a passenger traffic of over 10 crore reported for 2016-17.
- This was stated by Minister of State for Civil Aviation Jayant Sinha at a media event on the achievements of the Ministry of Civil Avation on the completion of three years of the NDA government.
- Sinha, that government’s key scheme in the sector regional connectivity scheme (RCS-UDAN) will allow India to have 200 plus airports in the next 10-15 years.
- The minister added that there are currently 496 aircraft in operation with domestic airlines, and another 654 planes are under purchase orders.
3) Delhi Police launch bicycle patrol:-
- The Delhi Police has launched patrolling on bicycle to improve policing in congested localities in trans-Yamuna region of the city.
- The move is also being billed as a green initiative.
- The bicycle patrols will complement and supplement the existing motorcycle and PCR patrols which focus mainly on crime prevention along the arterial and main roads of Delhi.
4) Ministry of Earth Sciences to launch ‘Deep Ocean Mission’ by January 2018:-
- Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India is all set to launch ‘Deep Ocean Mission’ by January 2018.
- This will improve India’s position in ocean research field.
- India was the first country in the world to have been given the Pioneer Area for exploration of deep-sea mineral viz. Polymetallic nodules in the Central Indian Ocean Basin in 1987.
1) World No Tobacco Day: 31 May:-
- World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) is observed around the world every year on May 31.
- It is intended to encourage a 24-hour period of abstinence from all forms of tobacco consumption around the globe.
- The theme for World No Tobacco Day 2017 is “Tobacco – a threat to development.”
2) First women’s TV channel launched in Afghanistan:-
- Women in Afghanistan now have their own television channel.
Zan – or Women’s – TV began airing this month, with a staff of all female presenters and producers.
- It’s being seen as a groundbreaking step for women’s rights, in a country still dominated by men.
3) India ranks 120th among 131 nations in women workforce:-
- In its India Development Report released recently, the World Bank said the country had one of the lowest female participation in the workforce, ranking 120th among 131 countries.
- Jobs for Indian women remain primarily in the agriculture sector.
- The share of women in services and industry is less than 20%.
1) Government appoints two more members to Banks Board Bureau:-
- The government has expanded the Banks Board Bureau (BBB) headed by former CAG Vinod Rai by adding two more members.
- Former Allahabad Bank chairperson and managing director Shubhalaxmi Panse and private equity veteran Pradip Shah have been inducted into the board as independent members.
- The body is responsible for selection of MDs and directors of public sector banks and financial institutions.
1) WHO honours Health Minister Nadda with Award:-
- Union Health Minister J P Nadda has been honoured by the World Health Organisation with the Director General’s Special Recognition Award for his leadership and commitment to advancing tobacco control.
- Health ministers of Maldives and Bhutan were also among five individuals and institutions from the WHO South-East Asia Region for this year’s World No-Tobacco Day Award.
- Nadda is also among the two recipients of the special global award this year. The Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs of the Republic of the Gambia is the other awardee.
1) New Re 1 notes to be circulated soon by RBI:-
- New one rupee notes with a multicoloured look will soon be put in circulation by the Reserve Bank of India, the RBI announced.
- “The colour of One Rupee currency note shall be predominantly pink green on obverse and reverse in combination with others.
- Elaborating on the design of the note, the central bank said it will bear the signature of Economic Affairs Secretary.
- “The numbering shall be in black at right hand bottom portion of the note,” it said.
On the reverse side, the year ‘2017’ is mentioned.
Science and Technology:-
1) Amul inks MoU with ISRO for fodder acreage estimation:-
- Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF), it has signed an agreement with ISRO for fodder acreage assessment using satellite observation and space technology.
- GCMMF markets its products under the brand name of Amul.
- Under the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), ISRO will help in identification between food crops and fodder crops at village level and also locate suitable areas of current fallows and cultivable wastelands at village level for green fodder cultivation.