1)Ram Nath Kovind elected India’s 14th President:-
- Ram Nath Kovind was declared elected as India’s 14th President polling 65.6% of the vote defeating the Opposition’s joint candidate, former Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, who secured 34% of the vote.
- Mr. Kovind will be the second Dalit President of India after late President K.R. Narayanan
Also, he will be first from Uttar Pradesh and the first person from the BJP to hold the office of President since Independence.
- He entered politics in 1994 when he became a member of Parliament in Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh and served as an MP for two consecutive terms till 2006.
- He had represented India in the United Nations in New York and addressed United Nations General Assembly in October 2002.
- On August 8, 2015, Kovind was appointed governor of Bihar.
2)Centre, Haryana Govt. ink pact to revive River Saraswati:-
- The Centre and the Government of Haryana joined hands to revive the long lost River Saraswati and provide water to the drought-prone areas of India.
- Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas (Independent Charge) Dharmendra Pradhan and Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar witnessed the signing of the Memorandum of Agreement.
3)FM formally launched Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana:-
- The Union Minister for Finance, Defence and Corporate Affairs has formally launched the Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY) in the national capital.
- PMVVY is a Pension Scheme announced by the Government of India exclusively for the senior citizens aged 60 years and above which is available from 4th May, 2017 to 3rd May, 2018.
- The Scheme can be purchased offline as well as online through Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India which has been given the sole privilege to operate this Scheme.
- Scheme provides an assured return of 8% p.a. payable monthly (equivalent to 8.30% p.a. effective) for 10 years.
4)Telangana puts cap on school bag weight:-
- Acting on proposals submitted by the Commissioner and Director of School Education, the Telangana School Education Department issued strict guidelines to reduce the weight of school bags for children in the State.
- Schools including aided and un-aided private schools have to follow guidelines.
- The guidelines limit the number and weight of books and notebooks students bring to the classroom.
5)Telangana: Janahitha launches to receive complaints from public:-
- In Telangana, an innovative programme christened Janahitha was launched to receive complaints from public through a special portal.
- The programme, kickstarted in Suryapet district on pilot basis is aimed at facilitating the public to submit their complaints on line and get speedy redressal.
- India is Australia’s ninth largest trading partner, with boundless potential for growth
Indian-origin residents are the fourth largest group of overseas-born Australians
Australia-India Exercise (AUSINDEX): Military cooperation between Australia and India includes the regular joint naval exercise AUSINDEX
MoU signed in recent Australian PM visit:-
- MoU on Cooperation in Sports.
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine.
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of Environment, Climate and Wildlife.
- MoU for Promotion and Development of Cooperation in Civil Aviation Security
- MoU on Cooperation in Combatting International Terrorism and Transnational Organized Crime.
- Implementation arrangement between ISRO and Geoscience Australia on Cooperation in Earth Observation and Satellite Navigation.
- It is also known as the Kerama Gap
- It is a waterway which lies between Miyako Island and Okinawa Island.
- The Miyako Strait is of global geopolitical significance, as it is one of the few international waterways for China’s People’s Liberation Army Navy to access the Pacific Ocean from the East China Sea.
- It is become an issue between Japan and China recently.
- The Egyptian vulture ( Neophron percnopterus ) is classified under the ‘Endangered’ (EN) red list of the International Union for Conversation of Nature (IUCN).
- The species is popularly known as safed giddh (white vulture) in Hindi.
According to BirdLife International, a global partnership of organisations working for the conservation of birds, the present global breeding population of the Egyptian vulture is estimated to be 12,000 to 38,000 individuals.
- Habitat Niche : Egyptian vultures usually build their nests on the cliffs of mountains, roofs of buildings and on tree-tops.
- Food Niche of the species : The species rarely hunt its food — the birds mostly feed on dead carcasses of animals, birds and reptiles. They eat eggs and sometimes, in the absence of animal carcasses, switch over to household solid waste like rotten fruits and vegetables.
1)ICICI Bank offers up to Rs. 15 lakh instant personal loan via ATMs:-
- ICICI Bank has launched a facility whereby its existing salaried customers can avail personal loans at ATMs.
- These customers can get pre-qualified personal loans up to 15 lakhs in their savings account instantly.
- Through this offering, a customer can get personal loans of upto Rs. 15 lakh for a fixed tenure of 60 months.
2)ADB cuts India inflation outlook to 4% in 2017-18:-
- India’s inflation is likely to average 4% in 2017-18, sharply lower than the estimate made at the beginning of the financial year of 5.2%, Asian Development Bank (ADB) said in its outlook supplement.
- ADB also said that India is expected to achieve its earlier April forecasts of 7.4% growth in 2017-18 and 7.6% in 2018-19, primarily due to strong consumption.
1)Lokmat Parliamentary Awards 2017:-
- Lokmat newspaper has taken a step towards honouring best Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha members for their achievements by introducing the Lokmat Parliamentary Awards 2017.
- Lifetime Achievement Award – LK Advani
- Best Parliamentarian Award 2016 – NK Premachandran
- Best Woman Parliamentarian Award 2016 – Kumari Sushmita Dev
- Best Debut Woman Parliamentarian Award 2016 – Meenakshi Lekhi
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Sharad Yadav
- Best Parliamentarian Award 2016 – Sitaram Yechury
- Best Woman Parliamentarian Award 2016- Jaya Bachchan
- Best Debut Woman Parliamentarian Award 2016 – Rajani Patil