1)Union Home Minister chairs first meeting of Islands Development Agency (IDA):-
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh chaired the first meeting of the newly constituted Islands Development Agency (IDA) in New Delhi.
- The IDA was set up on June 01, 2017 following the Prime Minister’s review meeting for the development of islands.
- The Union Home Minister presented the vision for developing India’s maritime economy while preserving the natural eco-system and addressing the security concerns.
- He emphasized upon the need for sustainable development of Islands with people’s participation.
2)Mobile App for Road Maintenance “Aarambh launched:-
- The Union Minister Narendra Singh and the ILO Deputy Director General (Policy) International Labour Organization Ms. Deborah Greenfield has launched the Mobile App for Road Maintenance “Aarambh”.
- Its usage will enhance the service delivery of the state level institutions in planning and implementing performance based rural roads maintenance contracts.
- The newly launched mobile application would simplify the maintenance management of rural roads.
3)Airport Authority of India signs MoU with Govt. of Uttarakhand:-
- Airports Authority of India (AAI) signed an MoU with Government of Uttarakhand and joined hands with Uttarakhand Civil Aviation Development Authority (UCADA) to develop the civil aviation sector in the state.
- The scope of the MoU is to identify relevant factors influencing the development of civil aviation infrastructure in Uttarakhand, assessing commercial potential of various airports of the state, identifying technical considerations for airport operations in the state, evaluating site related technical and engineering parameters for development of projects, making estimate of the capital outlay for the future projects and development of master plan for existing and future civil aviation infrastructure in the state.
- AAI will also assist UCADA in obtaining necessary clearances for airport operations starting with the upgraded airport at Pithoragarh and later at Chiniyalisaur.
4)Government launches ‘SHe-box’ portal for sexual harassment complaints:-
- The Minister of Women & Child Development, Smt Maneka Sanjay Gandhi launched an online complaint management system titled Sexual Harassment electronic–Box (SHe-Box) for registering complaints related to sexual harassment at workplace in New Delhi.
- The complaint management system has been developed to ensure the effective implementation of Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act (the SH Act), 2013.
- This portal is an initiative to provide a platform to women working or visiting any office of Central Government (Central Ministries, Departments, Public Sector Undertakings, Autonomous Bodies and Institutions etc.) to file complaints related to sexual harassment at workplace under the SH Act.
- Those who had already filed a written complaint with the concerned Internal Complaint Committee (ICC) constituted under the SH Act are also eligible to file their complaint through this portal.
5)Maharashtra, Rajasthan record highest cases of child marriage:-
- Latest government data show that Maharashtra tops the list in child marriage, followed by Rajasthan. 17 districts of Maharashtra, including Latur, Mumbai and Pune have reported high instances of child marriage.
- In Rajasthan, 13 districts, including Jaipur, Ajmer and Bhilwara, have reported increasing incidents of child marriage.
- The figures, highlighting the prevalence of child marriage, were stated by MoS, women and child development, Krishna Raj in answer to questions posed in Lok Sabha.
6)Lucknow Metro to be India’s 1st with own FM radio station:-
- The Lucknow Metro will become India’s first to have its own FM radio station, which will provide entertainment and information on metro safety.
- It also will offer travellers with ‘Go Smart’ cards drinking water, toilet facilities and WiFi free of charge.
7)FSSAI bans stapler pins in tea bags from January 2018:-
- The Food Safety and Authority of India (FSSAI) has banned the stapler pins in tea bags from January 2018.
- It has also directed all food safety commissioners to take action to prevent the use of unsafe packaging materials by companies and take up measures for enforcement of its order.
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India established under the Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
Points to remember:
- It has been established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.
FSSAI is responsible for promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.
- HQ: New Delhi
8)Reliance Defence launches naval patrol vessels Shachi and Shruti:-
- Reliance Defence launches first two naval patrol vessels Shachi and Shruti(NOPVs) – ‘Shachi’ and ‘Shruti’ – at their shipyard in Pipavav, Gujarat.
- The two NOPVs — ‘Shachi’ and ‘Shruti’ — are the first warships to be launched by a private sector shipyard in India.
1)Bolivia declared total independence from World Bank & IMF:-
- Bolivia’s President Evo Morales has declared his government’s independence from World Bank and IMF.
- Some of Bolivia’s largest resistance struggles in the last 60 years have targeted the economic policies carried out by the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.
- Bolivia’s popular uprising known as The Cochabamba Water War in 2000 against United States– and the associated World Bank policies shed light on some of the debt issues facing the region.
Points to remember:-
- About Bolivia:-
- Capital: Sucre
- Currency: Boliviano
- President: Evo Morales
1)Microsoft to shut down MS Paint 32 years after its launch:-
- Microsoft has announced its long-standing basic graphics editing program ‘MS Paint’ will no longer be available with the next Windows 10 update.
- The program was first released with the very first version of Windows 1.0 in 1985.
MS Paint’s removal is a part of Microsoft’s plan to shut programs that are “not in active development.”
2)IMF retains 2017 growth forecast for India at 7.2%:-
- The Indian economy is forecast to grow at 7.2% in 2017-18 and 7.7% in 2018-19, the
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) said in its latest forecast.
- This would keep India as the fastest growing major economy in the world and in Asia.
- Growth for China was revised to 6.7% in 2017 and 6.4% in 2018.
3)Branch-in-a-Box launches by Aurionpro Solutions:-
- Aurionpro Solutions has launched its Branch-in-a-Box product, the Virtual Teller Machine (VTM) a fully integrated self-service kiosk for automating 90% of banking transactions at the branch level.
- Aurionpro Solutions is a global leader in digital innovation, enterprise security and banking solutions.
- The VTM helps in migrating routine transactions like KYC, account opening, passbook and statement printing, video assistance, bill payment, cash and cheques.
Points to remember:-
- Headquartered:-San Ramon, North America
– Mumbai, India
CEO- Samir Shah
4)Standard Chartered Bank unveils forex card:-
- Standard Chartered Bank has launched a Multi- currency Forex Card for overseas travelers.
- The card will allow customers the convenience of loading up to 20 widely used currencies on one card with an online reload facility during overseas travel.
- The card will offer travelers protection against the frequent currency fluctuations by locking in the currency exchange rate they availed during the time of loading the card, and not pay different rates every time they use the card.
Points to remember:
- About Standard Chartered Bank
- Headquartered in London, England
- Founded :1969
- Chairman :José Viñals
5)Travel portal Yatra acquires corporate bookings firm Air Travel Bureau:-
- Yatra Online Inc, India’s second-largest online travel operator, has acquired corporate travel services provider Air Travel Bureau (ATB) in an estimated cash-and debt deal of $22.5-27.5 million.
Points to remember:
- About Yatra Online
- Industry:Online travel agency
- Founded: August 1, 2006
- Founder: Dhruv Shringi (CEO)