1)Gadkari inaugurated road congress meet in Udaipur:-
- Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari has inaugurated 212th meeting of Indian Road Congress (IRC) in Udaipur.
- The Indian Road Congress is the apex body of highway engineers in the country.
2)NGT Sets Rs 50,000 Fine for Dumping Waste Within 500 Metres of Ganga:-
- The National Green Tribunal passed a slew of directions to rejuvenate River Ganga, declaring as ‘No-Development Zone’ an area of 100 metres from the edge of the river between Haridwar and Unnao and prohibiting dumping of waste within 500 metres from the river.
- A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar also declared that an environment compensation of Rs 50,000 will be imposed on anyone who dumps waste in the river.
3)Railways Launches ‘SAARTHI’ App:-
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launched a new integrated mobile app “SAARTHI – c” for passengers.
• This new app will allow passengers to book tickets, enquiry, on-board cleaning and ordering meal on a single platform.
• The new SAARTHI app also includes features such as safety for women, complaint facility and suggestion for improvement.
4)MSDE celebrates Second Anniversary of Skill India Mission:-
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) celebrated the second anniversary of Skill India Mission on the World Youth Skills day.
- 100 GST training centres, 51 Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras and 100 Yoga training centres were inaugurated on the occasion.
- On the occasion, Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) announced a national training Programme to certify GST practitioners under its flagship scheme of Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY).
- This would facilitate the country’s transition to the new tax regime seamless and convenient.
- During the event, an MoU was inked between the skill development ministry and the water resources ministry. The MoU intends to develop skilled manpower for laying sewerage pipeline, construction of toilets, waste collection and its disposal activities.
5)Matunga becomes India’s first railway station run by women:-
- In a bid to empower women, Central Railway has appointed all women staff at suburban Matunga station.
- Matunga station has thus become country’s first women special station.
- D K Sharma, general manager of Central Railway, who floated the idea of all ladies station, “We are convinced that there is no tool for development more effective than empowering our women and this special station speaks all about it.”
6)Panel on Ganga cleaning law proposes two new bodies:-
- An official panel, framing a draft law on the cleaning of the Ganga, has proposed a two- tiered mechanism to replace two existing bodies which are implementing the Namami Gange Programme.
- The panel has recommended establishing an integrated development council (IDC) with the prime minister as its ex- officio chairperson. The IDC is proposed to replace the existing National Council for Ganga, which is also chaired by the PM.
- Besides, it has suggested setting up the National River Ganga Basin Management Corporation (NRGBMC) to be headed by the water resources minister. It is proposed to replace the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG).
7)Operation Muskan launched in Odisha:-
- Operation Muskan, a month-long drive to rescue Odisha’s missing children, was launched by the State police.
- This is the third edition launched by the Crime Branch in association with the Women and Child Development Department.
8)9th Slum Yuva Run flagged off by Sports Minister Vijay Goel:-
- Union Minister of Youth Affairs & Sports Shri Vijay Goel flagged off the 9th Slum Yuva Daud with Minister of Power Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju, Parvesh Verma M. P. and Olympic medalist wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt.
- The run started from Sahib Singh Verma Park (Kakrola Village) and ended at SDMC Community Hall (Dwarka Sec-17).
- The Slum Yuva Daud is part of the Adopt Slum Campaign initiated by the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports and Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan. Total 11 Slum Yuva Runs have been planned out of which 9 have already been successful with mass participation youth from various Delhi slums.
9)J-K govt launches weekly festival at Dal Lake:-
- The spectacular Dal Lake in Srinagar hosted first ever ‘Cultrue of Cruise’, a weeekly cultural programme organised by the Jammu and Kashmir government aimed to bring artists from various fields on one stage.
• The JKAACL in association with the tourism department of Kashmir launched the event.
10)Tata Motors develops country’s first biomethane bus:-
- Tata Motors has developed country’s first Bio-CNG (bio-methane) bus which was unveiled recently at a bio-energy programme, ‘Urja Utsav’.
• The firm, which is India’s largest commercial vehicles manufacturer, said the bio-methane engines could be used in LCV, ICV and MCV buses.
• At the Urja Utsav held in Pune’s Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex, Tata displayed three engines, along with the lead model — Tata LPO 1613 with 5.7 SGI NA BS-IV IOBD-II compliant bus.
11)NDA nominates Venkaiah Naidu as vice-presidential candidate:-
- Union minister M Venkaiah Naidu has been named the vice-presidential candidate of the ruling NDA coalition.
• Naidu is currently serving as the Minister of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation as well as Information and Broadcasting.
• An alliance of 18 opposition parties, including the Congress, has already announced Gopalkrishna Gandhi as its candidate for the vice-presidential poll.
12)Farooq Abdullah, Kunhalikutty take oath as Lok Sabha members:-
- National Conference leader and former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah and Indian Union Muslim League leader PK Kunhalikutty took oath as members of the Lok Sabha.
• Abdullah won the by-poll from the Srinagar-Budgam parliamentary constituency, defeating his Peoples Democratic Party rival Nazir Ahmed Khan by over 10,000 votes.
• Kunhalikutty won the Malappuram by-poll in Kerala.
- The World Youth Skills Day is observed globally on 15 July.
- It has been observed to raise awareness about the importance of youth skills development.
- The World Youth Skill Day 2017 Theme is “Skills for the Future of Work”.
2)Eighth meeting of SAARC Ministers of Law & Order held in Colombo:-
- The eighth meeting of the SAARC Ministers of Law and Order was held in Colombo. Indian side was led by a senior official in Ministry of Home affairs.
- The three-day meeting was focused on the issue of tackling terrorism apart from discussing liberalization of visa, illegal trafficking in narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and small arms.
- The last meeting of SAARC Ministers was held in Pakistan where ministers highlighted the importance of initiating collective actions against terrorism in all its forms and manifestations.
3)India emerges as top trusted government in the world: Report:-
- According to the latest edition of the OECD’s Government at a Glance report, India has emerged as the most trusted nation with 73 per cent people voting for the current government.
• While Modi government has the confidence of 73 per cent Indians, the highest in the world, Greece stands last with 13 per cent.
• The survey is generally conducted to test check peoples trust level on their government.
1)Google most influential brand in India, says study:-
- Google has been ranked as the most influential brand in the country while Patanjali Ayurveda and Reliance Jio figure in the top ten, according to a study by global research firm Ipsos.
• Google is followed by Microsoft and Facebook at the second and third places, respectively.
• Patanjali and Reliance Jio have been ranked fourth and ninth, respectively, Ipsos said in its report of the most influential brands.
2)Digital transactions ‘leapfrogged’ by 3 yrs post note ban:-
- State Bank of India, that India has leapfrogged three years of digitisation in just seven months post demonetisation and the government’s drive to promote use of debit and credit cards at point of sale or PoS terminals.
- According to a SBI research report, the volume of digital transactions has crossed the 70,000 crore rupee level in last seven months. It informs that banks have installed 11.8 lakh additional POS terminals to facilitate this movement.
3)Wholesale inflation falls to 0.9% in June:-
- Wholesale inflation fell to 0(point)9 per cent in June this year as prices of food articles, including vegetables, fell.
- The inflation figure is the lowest in at least eight months–since the availability of data for the new 2011-12 base year series.
- Inflation based on the wholesale price index had stood at 2.17 per cent in May this year, and minus 0.09 per cent in June last year.
- Government data released today showed that wholesale inflation in food articles stood at minus 3.47 per cent in June. Inflation in vegetables was minus 21.16 per cent, meaning that overall vegetable prices fell. Inflation in potatoes was minus 47.32 per cent in June.
4)Kharif Crop sowing crosses 563 lakh hectare area:-
- Kharif crops have been sown in over 563 lakh hectare till date as against 521 lakh hectare last year. It is nearly 42 lakh hectare more than last year figure.
- Crop sowing data released by the Agriculture Ministry, reveals that the rice has been sown in over 125 lakh hectare which is about five lakh hectare more than the last year.
- Over 74 lakh hectare area has been covered under the cultivation of pulses which is more than 14 lakh hectare of the sown area under the crop last year.
- The coarse cereals have been sown in over 113 lakh hectare, oilseeds in nearly 104 lakh hectare and cotton in over 90 lakh hectare.
5)Sensex Retreats From Record Level, Plunges by 300 Points:-
- Retreating from its record high level, the benchmark BSE Sensex shed 300 points to be at 31,775 in opening trade today amid a weak lead from other Asian markets.
- The wider NSE Nifty too backtracked from its all-time peak and dipped below the 9,800-level. Nifty fell by 124 points to trade at 9,792.
- It had closed at a record high of 9,916 points in yesterday’s session.
1)Federer wins record eighth Wimbledon title:-
- In a Wimbledon final Roger Federer brushed aside Marin Cilic, winning in straight sets 6-3, 6-1, 6-4.
- To those that gathered to watch him win, the historical significance of the victory — a 19th Grand Slam, a record eight Wimbledon wins.
- Secure him the World No. 1 ranking, with the Australian Open and Wimbledon in the bag.
- Wimbledon is one of four Grand Slam tennis tournaments. The others are the Australian Open, the French Open and the US Open.
- Wimbledon takes place at the All England Lawn Tennis Club in London.
- Roger Federer of Switzerland defeats Marin Cilic of Croatia in the men’s final.
Garbine Muguruza of Spain defeats Venus Williams of the United States in the women’s final.
Men’s Doubles:- L. Kubot & M. Melo
Women’s Doubles:- E. Makarova & E. Vesnina
Mixed Doubles:- J. Murray & M. Hingis
2)Muguruza Wins 2017 Wimbledon Women’s Championship:-
- Garbine Muguruza defeated Venus Williams 7-5, 6-0 to clinch the 2017 Wimbledon women’s singles championship, the second major title of her career.
- The Spaniard finished as runner-up to Serena, in this same fixture two years ago but claimed some redemption after sailing to this year’s crown.