1. M.J. Akbar Inaugurated ‘Namaskar Africa’ Trade Show:-
- The ‘Namaskar 2017’ exposition will be inaugurated by MoS in the ministry of external affairs MJ Akbar and is part of ‘Namaskar Africa’, a regional flagship programme where Ficci in partnership with the ministry of commerce and industry will create awareness about the best Indian technologies and products in the region as well as explore opportunities offered by the region.
• Ghana has been preparing to implement the regional economic grouping, Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Common External Tariff (CET), a major platform for a Customs Union that facilitates free trade and ensures greater regional economic integration.
• To make Indian businessmen more acceptable in Africa, there is an urgent need for more people-to-people interaction, more sanitised information and awareness to Indians about Africa and African people.
2. US Imposes Financial Sanctions on Venezuela:-
- The US slapped “strong” financial sanctions on the dictatorship in Venezuela, barring banks from any new deals with the government. US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order imposing “strong, new financial sanctions” on Venezuela.
- The president’s new action prohibits dealings in new debt and equity issued by the government of Venezuela and its state oil company.
- It also prohibits dealings in certain existing bonds owned by the Venezuelan public sector, as well as dividend payments to the government of Venezuela,” White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement after Trump signed the executive order.
Points to remember about Venezuela:-
- President : Nicolás Maduro
- Capital: Caracas
- Currency: Venezuelan bolívar
1. Nungthaang Tampak- North East’s First 100% Computer Literate Village:-
- Manipur’s Nungthaang Tampak village has emerged as the ‘100 percent computer literate’ not only in the state but in the entire North East.
• The computer course, which is affiliated to All India Society for Electronic and Computer Technology (AISECT), was organised by Mangal Rural , an NGO working for rural development as a part of the Digital India program.
• Nungthang Tampak has become India’s second 100 percent computer literate village in India. Kerala’s Chamravattom village is the country’s first 100 percent computer literate village.
2. E-waste Disposal from Schools Kicks Starts in Kerala:-
- The State wide disposal of e-Waste from Kerala schools kick-started at Thiruvananthapuram.
• The eWaste disposal from schools is a joint initiative by Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education (KITE), formerly IT@School project and Clean Kerala Company, and is aimed to dispose e-Waste from 10,000 odd schools and educational offices in Kerala.
• Instead of simply disposing e-Waste as garbage which create environmental issues, scientific methods are used to recycle and refurbish the e-Waste as per the norms set by Govt of India, a novel process which avoids spreading of hazardous materials like Mercury, Lead, Cadmium, Barium etc in to the environment.
3. J & K Government to Set Up First Eco-Park:-
- The Jammu and Kashmir government has decided to build an Eco-Park on over 34 acres of land reclaimed from encroachers in the state’s Rajouri district.
• The park is a first-of-its-kind project in the region. It will have a botanical garden, a cactus garden, a cafeteria and other amenities.
4. Rural Games to Take Place in Delhi:-
- Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports shri Vijay Goel announced that the first edition of Rural Games or Grameen Khel Mahotsav will kick-start from Delhi and will take place between 28th August to 3rd September, 2017.
• The Rural Games will aim at popularising the indigenous games like wrestling, athletics etc. and will also have fun games like Matka Race, Tug of War for senior citizens to add the fun element in the games.
• The sports talent search portal portal will enable any person from across India to upload his information and as per that the Ministry will tap their talent and train them further in their respective disciplines.
5. Arun Jaitley: Jan Dhan Yojana and the 1 Billion-1 Billion-1 Billion “JAM” Revolution it is Unleashing:-
- “Three years ago today, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a flagship program: Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) aimed at providing financial services to the poor. These included opening bank accounts for the poor, giving them electronic means of payment (via RUPAY cards), and placing them in a position to avail themselves of credit and insurance.
- JAM, a term coined, and a vision conceptualized, by our Chief Economic Adviser, is nothing short of a social revolution because it has brought together financial inclusion (PMJDY), biometric identification (Aadhaar) and mobile telecommunications.
- Just as GST created one tax, one market, one India, the PMJDY and the JAM revolution can link all Indians into one common financial, economic, and digital space. No Indian will be outside the mainstream.
6. Supertech Gets Green nod for Rs1,130 crore Sports Village Project in Greater Noida:-
- Realty firm Supertech has received green nod for developing a sports-centric housing project in Greater Noida that would entail an investment of Rs1,130 crore. The proposed residential project ‘Sports Village’ will be launched during Diwali this year and will be completed in four years.
- The 62-acre project will be developed in Sector 27 of Greater Noida (west), known as Noida Extension.
- Besides golf, Arora of Supertech said that the project will have academies for other sports like badminton and shooting. In 2015, the company had tied up with sports personalities such as Sania Mirza, Shikhar Dhawan, Jyoti Randhawa, Pullela Gopichand and Gagan Narang for setting up training facilities in its projects.7. NPCI Approves Spice Digital’s Operation Under Bharat Bill Payment System:-
- The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has given a nod to Spice Digital Ltd. for processing bill payments under the Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) as a Bharat Bill Payment Operating Unit (BBPOU).
- The BBPS through its centralised bill payment system will allow the users to use a single website or outlet to pay all their monthly or repetitive bills such as mobile phone and electricity.
- Spice Digital forayed into FinTech space three years ago. Today, SDL’s Spice Money is India’s leading India stack based FinTech Company.