1. Two Indian cities in list of 100 top favourable destinations for students:-
- Only two of India’s top elite cities made it to the top 100 cities favoured by students, a ranking list published by QS World University Rankings for the year 2017.
- While Mumbai has been ranked at 85th place, New Delhi is at 86th place in the list topped by Montreal of Canada.
- Only one city each from US and UK has found a place in the top 10 of the list.
2. The World Maritime Day: 28 September:-
- The World Maritime Day is celebrated across the world on 28 September.
- The theme for 2017 World Maritime Day is ‘Connecting Ships, Ports and People’.
- World Maritime Day focuses on the importance of shipping safety, maritime security, environment and emphasises aspects of IMO’s work.
3. India jumps to 14th rank as best country for expats: HSBC:-
- India leapt up the global rankings by 12 places to take the 14th spot in terms of best country for expats to live and work in, says a HSBC survey.
- The list, which is topped by Singapore, is part of HSBC’s latest ‘expat explorer survey’ that covered 27,587 expats from 159 countries and territories in March and April this year.
- According to survey, about 71 per cent expats in India reported high levels of confidence in the local economy, while 58 per cent exuded optimism on political stability.
1. India International Science Festival 2017:-
- The Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Earth Sciences, and Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA) have come together to organize The India International Science Festival (IISF) every year, since 2015 to encourage scientific temper among the masses and showcasing Indian contribution in the field of S&T over the years.
- The previous two editions of IISF held at New Delhi have been a great success.
The 3rd edition of IISF 2017 will be held in Chennai during 13-16 October, 2017 at various venues.
- Emphasizing the role of technologies and innovation, India has declared 2010-20 as the ‘Decade of Innovation’.
2. ‘Garib Nawaz’ centres to offer sanitation course:-
- The Centre will offer a course for ‘sanitary supervisors’ at its ‘Garib Nawaz’ skill development centre.
- Making the announcement, Union minority affairs minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said the course will help create job opportunities for the youth belonging to poor sections of minority communities and also strengthen the ‘Clean India campaign’.
1. ICICI Bank launches ‘cashback’ home loans:-
- India’s largest private sector lender by consolidated assets, ICICI Bank announced a new home loan scheme that offers borrowers the benefit of 1% cashback on every EMI, for the entire tenure of the loan.
- The offer will be valid for home loans with a minimum tenure of 15 years and maximum tenure of 30 years.
- Customers can choose to adjust the cashback against principal outstanding of their home loan or they can get it as direct credit in their bank account.
2. ADB to increase annual lending to India to $4 billion:-
- The Asian Development Bank said it will increase its annual lending to India to a maximum of $4 billion between 2018 and 2022 to help fasten inclusive economic transformation towards upper middle income status.
- The new lending programme, which includes private sector operations, is much higher than the average $2.65 billion a year in loans extended during 2012 and 2016.